Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kids are Weird

Mary Grace has started adopting and anthropomorphizing the strangest things. Like pancakes. And Tic Tacs. She'll carry them around and call them babies. She talks to them and puts them to bed. No, I am not thrilled about finding "sleeping" pancakes in the couch, nor am I a fan of being yelled at for "waking them up."

I still haven't found the Tic Tacs.

What really kills me is that all of her little "babies" are "sad" because they "want their mommies." HUH? I am with these kids all but 10 - 15 hours a week. When does she have time to be sad because she wants her mommy? She barely has time to miss me, except when she's asleep. The pancakes, Tic Tacs, suckers, etc. all either "sad" or "scared." It makes me feel like I'm doing something to screw her up emotionally, and I don't even know what it is. It would make sense if they missed their daddies, because Daddy works a lot and is often gone from the house. I don't think that would be as troubling, at least, not for me!! But what's up with the mommy thing?

Stories about how your kids did the same thing and turned out just fine would be greatly appreciated.

In other news, I've started another blog, called This is Not a Political Blog, where I'm going to talk about things unrelated to the babies, so that I can stop upsetting my sensitive (sorry, I mean "compassionate!") relatives. If you're here for pretty pictures of pretty babies, don't click through. If you care what I think about everything else, give it a try. Of course, there are only two posts up right now... But I have lots of opinions about lots of things that you're not supposed to talk about at dinner parties, and that's where I'm going to put them from now on.

Everybody happy, now? Well, everybody except the pancakes. They're still lonely, and apparently they don't want to stay in the freezer because they miss their mommies.

3 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

kids are so cool and weird- I love it- can't wait to read yr new blog xo

Anonymous said...

yep, my daughter did it too. my mother about fell out of the booth laughing when R cradled her macaroni noodles and shushed them to sleep. i, too, am a sahm and am with her all. the. time! she outgrew it and is flourishing.

p.s. i'm a long-time reader, first-time commenter here.

Anonymous said...

My two older kids, ages 5 and 3, like to play games like this all the time. They don't usually adopt food, but any other item -- a hairclip, a pack of cards, a shoe -- automatically becomes a "baby" in search of its long lost "mommy." Usually there's lots of fake baby crying involved.

I've always suspected that they get this kind of storyline from watching Dora or Diego, where a "lost baby" is a frequent plot. They're with me 24/7 through the summer, and up until now have only been separated from me for about 8 hours a week during the school year, so it's not like there's past trauma to work out.

But due to your story, I'm thinking maybe it's just something all kids need to work out!