Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WFMW: Mommy's Music

I love some of the music we play for the kids. Sandra Boynton's stuff is all brilliant and funny, and Barenaked Ladies, Cake, and They Might Be Giants have all jumped on the preschool music scene.

But sometimes Mommy needs a break from the ABCs and 123s. Sometimes Mommy is going to have to have a very stiff drink if she has to listen to one more round of "La la la la Lemon," and that is not a good idea when one is on a long car trip to Grammaland.

So, here's my secret. I put the kids' music on the CD player (because they're too small for headphones, but the day is coming soon when I can stick ear buds on those little goofballs and listen to my stuff), flip the speakers to the rear, and then stick ONE earbud of my iPod in so I can listen to podcasts. I figure that podcasts don't need to be in stereo any more than AM radio does, so I'm not missing anything by only listening to it in mono. It leaves my other ear free to referee whatever happens to be going on in the backseat, or to hear traffic noise, sirens, etc. I don't crank it, either, so even if I used both earbuds (which I don't) I'd still be able to hear what was going on around me.

I can also listen to my own music (you know, the kind with the occasional cuss word) or to audio books this way. I figure it's safer than talking on the cell phone...

Not having to listen to The Penguin's Lament for the eleventymillionth time Works for Me! Visit Rocks In My Dryer for more WFMW tips!

6 comments:

The Apron Queen said...

My kids are older & I give them headsets, but sometimes they can;t agree on music. May try this idea. Thanks.

Come try my finger licking good, sticky, messy, but SUPER easy BBQ ribs: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/07/easy-bbq-ribs-recipe.html

Anonymous said...

just be careful. headphones are illegal in some states. Check your road laws.

Wani said...

Great idea. Thanks!

Carol said...

Mine hated the headphones. (Until they were older and got iPods, that is.) So, when they were little, I used headphones to listen to my stuff while they listened to their aloud.

I fully attribute what remains of my sanity to headphones.

Good tip!

Momo Fali said...

Brilliant! We're getting ready for a 12 hour car ride, and I'm SO using this idea.

Unknown said...

My kids L-l-l-love the la la song. They make up songs for other letters too, but it isn't quite as good as the Barenaked Ladies!