Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day Madness

I don't know what it is about Mother's Day that makes me feel like I need to do arts and crafts, but every year I end up coming up with some tremendous (read: idiotic) idea for some project I think I can do, and buying all the stuff, then procrastinating until midnight on the Wednesday before Mother's Day (gotta have time to ship 'em), staying up half the night and making gifts for the four (4) moms in our lives.

I was up until 2:30 am, but I am really, really happy with the way they turned out. Of course, I can't tell you what they are because the Grandmas read this blog, but I'll post pictures on Monday. I will also be giving away one personalized, customized one of the things that I made for the Grandmas to one of my beloved winners, so be sure to come back Monday to enter!!

In honor of Mother's Day, I have compiled a job description for Mothers.

On call 24/7/365.
Activity coordinator.
Appointment maker.
Art director.
Baker.
Bargain finder.
Bed maker.
Birthday rememberer.
Blogger.
Breastfeeder.
Calendar keeper.
Card sender.
Chauffeur.
Chef.
Decorator.
Dietitian.
Dish washer.
Documentor.
Entertainment engineer.
Enforcer.
Flower arranger.
Fun provider.
Gardener.
Gift buyer.
Grandparent-relationship facilitator.
Grocery shopper.
Hair fixer.
Helper.
Holiday celebrator.
Household manager.
Hugger.
Image consultant.
Injury kisser.
Job (outside the home, that you get a paycheck for) holder.
Justice dispenser.
Knot un-tie-er.
Lesson teacher.
Love giver.
Maid.
Mediator.
Memory keeper.
Memory maker.
Menu planner.
Monster chaser.
Nail trimmer.
Networker.
Nurse.
Organic vs. non-organic agonizer.
Outing coordinator.
Party planner.
People pleaser.
Pet caregiver.
Phone caller.
Photographer.
Quality time provider.
Question answerer.
Referee.
Refrigerator Cleaner.
Researcher.
Rule maker.
Schedule maintainer.
Shoe finder.
Short order cook (3 meals, 2 snacks per day).
Sleep loser.
Story reader.
Teacher of everything (walking, talking, reading, alphabet, numbers, shoe tying, etc.)
Toy finder.
Understanding of toddler language facilitator.
Vehicle maintainer.
Wife.
Xmas gift buyer.
Yucky substance cleaner.
Zen-like calm maintainer.

Oh, and you have to do it all while making it look effortless, stylish, healthy, and fun.

And they wonder why our hair turns gray... Sheesh.

3 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

I was once told:

"I know you didn't ask for hints, but as a mom, the one thing I really want for Mother's Day is a day off. A real day off. A day of not having to do anything for the kids at all. And it should include sleeping late, breakfast in bed, a manicure and pedicure, a nice lunch out, time to sit and drink a glass of wine and read, a chick flick, and a back rub. The back rub may or may not lead to other things, depending on the quality of the rest of the day"

You know, if someone looking for something special to do on Sunday might be reading this blog.

amy turn sharp said...

love that!
yes please send me info on yr project!!!! amytsharp at gmail dot com!!! :) merci

Anonymous said...

Love this list! Wow!
Happy Mothers Day!!!