Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Six Day Migraine

I have had a migraine for at least part of every one of the last six days. I am not even kidding. The only reason I have gotten anything accomplished is because I have liberally applied Tylenol 3, showers, caffeine, naps, and massage at every opportunity. My hormone levels must be returning to post-postpartum normal, I guess. It must be time to get pregnant again.

Tomorrow's outing is going to be really awesome - stay tuned for pictures. We're going to visit my mom's friend Nancy's farm, complete with newborn baby lambs and all kinds of other critters. It should be a lot of fun, and I think the kids are going to love it. I plan to take a zillion pictures.

I hope the headache stays away, because farm smells and migraines do not mix.

Claire's walking has seriously improved over the past week. She has gone from only walking when we hold her up and give her a push, to initiating walking on her own, to taking off and clearing entire rooms, to being able to turn 90 or 180 degrees... In another week I think she'll give up crawling altogether. Watching the kids grow and develop and change is one of my favorite parts of being a parent. Blink and you miss it. It's really incredible how much they grow, and how fast.

This morning MG got her purse and Moses the doll and said, "I have to go to work. I have to drive your car. I need to work on the taxes." Mini-me.

Aunt Mimi, Uncle Chuck, and soon-to-be-Uncle Trey ran the mini yesterday - 13.1 miles. All three of them finished it. I think Trey's time was 1:51, Chuck's was 2:15, and Megan's was not mentioned. She only (only!) ran 8 miles because she's recovering from bronchitis. Ha! Only 8 miles. Running with bronchitis. I'm pretty sure I was adopted. Or they were. But I just can't figure out how I share DNA with people who pay money to run 13.1 miles, even though nothing is chasing them. I think even if I was being chased by something huge and deadly, I would run about 13.1 feet and then give up.

I swam at the shallow end of the gene pool.

The fourth person to come to our door wanting us to vote for Obama just left. I wouldn't mind so much if they would stop coming during nap time. Of course, even if I had a sign up that said, "We'll vote, I promise, baby's sleeping, go away..." Max would still lose her mind when they hit the yard. Maybe I need a sign on the property line that says, "Sleeping Baby, Psychotic Dog, Please Don't Stop Here. In fact, if you could go around the block so she doesn't see you I'd appreciate it..."

Is it Wednesday yet?

I predict that Indiana is going to choose Obama. I've spoken to very few Clinton supporters. Even though there was a good turn out at her speech last week, I think the vast majority of those folks were there out of curiosity, or to learn more about her position, and not because they necessarily plan to vote for her. I saw several people with Obama buttons. It's an exciting year to be a Hoosier. I'm planning to take the kids to the polls with me. I think it's important for them to see me doing that sort of thing. After all, they learn from what we do far more than they learn from what we say, and even though they're little bitty, maybe it'll make an impression somewhere in the dark recesses of their brains. I took them last November, too. I'm glad the weather will be nicer this time. It was freezing, and Claire was so little, and bundling everyone in and out of the car, that time, was a pain in the neck.

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

I'm with you on the running thing. Even IF something is chasing me, I might have to think on it for a few minutes before making a run for it.

I've considered a flap on our doorbell that reads:
You're welcome to ring the bell. Please be advised that I have a small dog with a big bark. I also have an infant who is probably sleeping. If you ring this bell, it will make the dog bark, which will wake my baby. Do you think I will buy or vote for your stuff if that happens?

Okay, a little long for a doorbell sign....