Friday, May 30, 2008

My New Pretty Baby

I talked to you yesterday about how I was having a hard time deciding what to do with the money I won from Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer, right? Well, part of the problem I was having was that all of the ideas I had for spending the money seemed really selfish. We are so blessed. We have abundant food, shelter, clothing, health, family, friends, and happiness galore. I have a healthy dose of "liberal guilt" over the fact that I throw away more food in a year than many children have to eat. None of my ideas for the money felt right, because we don't truly need anything. Even during our leanest times, we've had enough. More than enough. To be honest, my waistline says we have too much.

So, I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the Pretty Babies family - Melissa Irakoze. She is a 7 year old orphan in Rwanda who I've "adopted" for a year through Compassion International. I chose Rwanda because we sponsored a woman through Women for Women International a few years ago (because Oprah told me to), and it is a country full of people in desperate, crushing need.

Melissa (whose surname means "Thank God") lives with her grandmother. She was born May 15, 2001. The information I have so far doesn't say what happened to her parents. Rwanda has been devastated by civil war between the Tutsi and the Hutus, and by AIDS (like all of Africa), poverty, and disease. When I read the information we got about our sponsored woman through Women for Women, when I saw the movie Hotel Rwanda... well, it spoke to me.

I chose Compassion International because Shannon traveled to Africa with them earlier this year and blogged about her experiences. I thought, since I won the money from her, I should give it back to a cause that she loves.

I hesitated to even post about this, because I have always believed that these acts are more meaningful if you do them privately. It's tacky to toot my own horn and say, "Look how great I am! I did this nice thing!" But I'm sharing it because I want to make you aware of this organization, and maybe to inspire you to try to help, too.

And because I want to tell you about my new pretty baby as I get to know her.

Maybe now my conscience will shut up and let me take my kids to Disneyworld!!

21 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

Yr so awesome babe- wow. So cool! xo

Rob Monroe said...

Such a great idea. I don't think it should take away from the meaning. Your sharing should inspire others. Perhaps RocksInMyDryer should share some of that story..

Anonymous said...

So, I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the Pretty Babies family - Melissa Irakoze. She is a 7 year old orphan in Rwanda who I've "adopted" for a year through Compassion International.

May the Lord bless both you and Melissa abundantly!

My hope and prayer is that everyone who reads of your 'choice' would do likewise. Saving a child's life is the easiest thing a person can do today.

cd

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you did choose to share as I know we all benefit by reading it and stop and think about our own abundant blessings that we take for granted.

I firmly believe more children like Melissa will benefit from you taking the time to share a private act as other readers are motivated to sponser also.

Blessed said...

What an awesome thing to do!

Anonymous said...

That is SO great! What a wonderful way to "give back"!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

How wonderful

ohhollyf said...

GULP,, tears,, a joyful heart in the direction you've chosen.

Carolyn F said...

Sharing is awesome. I just sponsored my first child this year... it will be a wonderful experience!!

Mandy said...

Wow. You seriously rock in my book! Awesome!

MiSScNeLLY said...

You are a blessing!

Stephanie said...

I just found your blog from "Rocks in my Dryer." That is so great what you did with the money! I love Compassion International. What a wonderful cause your money went to. God will bless you 10-fold because of it. Congratulations!

Chelsea said...

Good for you! That's exactly what I was going to do with the money if I'd won the original Egg Beaters contest. (Which I didn't. Darn.)

Unknown said...

wow... I'm speechless... I think this is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to share your good luck :)

It's the nicest thing I read all day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy - I am a fan of Ask Moxie and thought I'd take a look at your blog. I think it's wonderful you are sponsoring a child in Rwanda. I used to live in Rwanda working with a rights organization and so many children there could benefit from the helping hand of people like yourself. I'm sure Melissa appreciates it. Hopefully you can sponsor her until she is finished her studies -- I find that is what most children pray for in Rwanda; the opportunity to go to school. Bless you... Suki

RR Mama said...

I am speechless. God bless you!

Jodi said...

good for you - it's easy to forget what abundance we have compared to countries like Rwanda that have been so devastated! What a powerful teaching moment for your kids! God bless!

Crystal said...

Welcome to the world of sponsorship through Compassion. We too sponsor a child and I hope you will be blessed by your little one. I sponsored because of Shannon's trip to Uganda and because she shared it on her blog. And that's how I found you too :)

carrhop said...

Awesome, awesome..what an inspiration--I know you will be blessed many times over for your generosity and faithfulness! Blessings!

Unknown said...

How wonderful and generous of you!! I just sent our sponsor child his birthday gift yesterday (as in donation). I wish I could send him a box full of goodies but I know they just need the money so bad.

Congrats on your new pretty baby!!