Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Word No Parent Wants to Hear

The most terrible feeling I have experienced in my life is the feeling that something is wrong with one of my kids and I can't fix it. When I was pregnant with Claire and we had ICP, when MG had rotavirus and she was vomiting blood, and right after MG was born and her doctor said, "I wonder if she has skull under here..." about the hematoma on her head, each time I experienced that stomach dropping terror. You know that you have to hold it together for your kid, but it's so hard. If there were a way, any parent would gladly take his or her child's place and go through it for them.

And we've dealt with minor, temporary things. I can't imagine what it's like to deal with something long term or chronic or potentially, well, I can't even think the word, let's just say potentially really really bad.

So when I read the story about little Serenity over on the Blog Herald, and I felt that dropping stomach feeling on behalf of Serenity and her family, well, I figured I had to write about it.

I don't have anything profound to say, except that I can't imagine what it must feel like, and I'm so sorry, and I wish we lived in a world where babies (22 months old!) didn't get sick. I don't know Phil, but I think it would mean a lot to him and his family if y'all went over and said something nice in his comments. And say a prayer for this baby and her family.

No comments: