Wednesday, April 9, 2008

WFMW: Aldi

Is it Wednesday again already? Holy cow!

I have a confession to make - I have been a total grocery snob. I have shopped at the expensive stores, and I have made very token efforts at coupon clipping. Let's face it, it's darn near impossible to get through the store with a toddler and a baby, period, much less a baby and a toddler and a fist full of coupons that are remarkably specific (20 cents off a can of soup, but it has to be the blue label and not the red, and it has to be 18.342 ounces, even though all of the cans are 16 ounces, WTF?).

As gas prices and grocery prices have continued to rise, though, I have finally seen the light. I took Mimi's advice, and I went to Aldi.

I got what would've cost about $200-$250 at my expensive store for $100, y'all. I almost asked the checker to re-ring it, because clearly she missed something, right? Wrong. I was standing right there, she got it all and it was really cheap. I got stuff I would never get at the Kroger, too, like yogurt covered raisins and fruit in a jar instead of a can.

Last night I made dinner entirely from stuff I got at Aldi - Jambalaya from a mix with summer sausage in it, green beans (canned), mixed fruit (jarred), crescent rolls - I am not kidding when I say that it was every bit as good as what I get at Kroger. The fruit was better than what I usually buy. Seriously. Their scalloped potatoes are fabulous, too. I've had those before.

I had to walk past lots and lots of sugary cereals and salty chips (well, ok, some of the chips came home with me) and other bad-for-us stuff to get to the good stuff, but the good stuff is there. I didn't buy any fresh meat (I got all beef hot dogs and summer sausage), because we get our beef from BJ's uncle, and we already had chicken. I got beautiful strawberries and bananas, really nice zucchini (better than what's at Kroger), and lots of other great stuff.

I still need to hit Kroger to get a soapy washer (which is a future WFMW post), coffee, creamer (because BJ's a snob and insists he can tell the difference, although if I had cleaned out an empty Coffeemate carton and poured it in, I'll bet he would've been fooled!), and a few other small things, but I think I'll save a ton if I go to Aldi first (even though it's all the way on the other side of town) and then fill in the gaps at Kroger and Marsh.

So, Aldi, it works for me! If you've been a grocery snob, too, repent! And make sure you bring a quarter to liberate a cart and your own bags.

Here for Works for me Wednesday? Check out some of my greatest hits...

How to teach your baby to use a straw.
How to make money with Daytipper.
How to have fun with your kids in the snow.
How to save money when shopping online.
How to prevent frozen hands when sledding.
How to prevent disease with a handy new product (update, it worked - we never got sick!)
How to easily feed a crowd.
How to pack a smaller diaper bag.
How to make Mush McPuna.
How to organize your Christmas list.
How to breathe new life into your lamps with spray paint.
How to use calling cards to give the illusion that you have it all together.
How to use GCal (again) for menu planning.
How to save yourself time in the kitchen with a hot water tap.
How to tie your shoes if you have lollypop thumbs like me.
How to feel good about spending insane money at Christmas.
How to prevent dryer fires.
How to use Google Calendar to organize your family.
How to save a zillion dollars with the Magic Bullet.
How to quickly cool Mac & Cheese.
How to soothe a teething baby without whiskey - oops! I mean Tylenol.
How to do Time Outs correctly.
How to improvise a changing table.
How to get a baby and a toddler into the car.
How to keep your house decluttered with an old waitressing mantra.
How to find a great baby sling.
How to manage your grocery list online.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW tips!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling ya, even when you think that you are going to spend $200.00 it's still only $98.50. Try the Winking Owl wine too. It's only 2.99 a bottle and the cabernet is really good. I don't care for the merlot though.
I always go to Aldi first, then the following week I usually hit Walmart (dog food, cereal, yogurt because I have to have Yoplait) Then the following week I will go to the expensive store because their meat is the cheapest. Only when it's on sale of course, but I buy whatever is on sale and figure out what to cook based on what I have. I have saved a fortune! It might be more trips to the grocery store, but I find it worth it to stop when the expensive store is advertising buy 1 get 2 free frozen chicken breasts. It's on my way home from work anyway, so it's not an extra trip.

Anonymous said...

P.S. The man who owns Aldi has a brother who owns....Trader Joe's.