Wednesday, April 23, 2008

WFMW: Food on the Floor

When I was a kid, we didn't have a lot of money for vacations and dinners out and stuff. Of course, I never realized, then, that things were tight. Kids don't notice such things, no matter what the TV commercials try to tell you. Anyway, Mom had to get creative to keep three kids entertained.

We had this old rectangular dining room table that she had cut the legs short on, to make it coffee table height. Every once in a while, Mom would make an ethnic dinner (Mexican, Chinese, etc.) and we'd eat around the coffee table. She would decorate (my mom makes Martha Stewart look like an amateur) with stuff we had lying around the house - a big hat for a sombrero, some interesting multicolored fabric for the table cloth, candles in wine bottles for Italian night - and we would have a fancy dinner in. Sometimes she even played music from the country the food was from - I remember opera on Italian night.

It was so much fun. We used to laugh and laugh. The extra effort she put into the meal and the decorations made it feel like a party. Sitting on the floor, instead of at the table, made it feel sillier than a regular meal. Of course, there was always dessert. I particularly remember Spumoni on Italian night.

I guess this isn't really about Food on the Floor, although it's a great idea and you should totally try it with your kids. I think my real point is that kids don't need to spend tons of money to have fun. Every day meals can be a party if you shake things up a bit and make it special. Be creative, and include your kids in the things you enjoy. Mom enjoyed food and cooking, and so she found a way to make it fun for all of us.

You have to make dinner, anyway, right, so why not make it Food on the Floor?

(That coffee table was great for kids, by the way. We had plenty of room to draw and build Lego masterpieces. It took up a lot of space, but we played on it (under it, around it) all the time. I have one, too, but it is living in the garage under the old couch for now.)

Here for Works for me Wednesday? Check out some of my greatest hits...

How to save time and water when you're doing dishes.
How to save a fortune on your groceries without clipping coupons.
How to teach your baby to use a straw.
How to make money with Daytipper.
How to have fun with your kids in the snow.
How to save money when shopping online.
How to prevent frozen hands when sledding.
How to prevent disease with a handy new product (update, it worked - we never got sick!)
How to easily feed a crowd.
How to pack a smaller diaper bag.
How to make Mush McPuna.
How to organize your Christmas list.
How to breathe new life into your lamps with spray paint.
How to use calling cards to give the illusion that you have it all together.
How to use GCal (again) for menu planning.
How to save yourself time in the kitchen with a hot water tap.
How to tie your shoes if you have lollypop thumbs like me.
How to feel good about spending insane money at Christmas.
How to prevent dryer fires.
How to use Google Calendar to organize your family.
How to save a zillion dollars with the Magic Bullet.
How to quickly cool Mac & Cheese.
How to soothe a teething baby without whiskey - oops! I mean Tylenol.
How to do Time Outs correctly.
How to improvise a changing table.
How to get a baby and a toddler into the car.
How to keep your house decluttered with an old waitressing mantra.
How to find a great baby sling.
How to manage your grocery list online.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW tips!

10 comments:

Lady Why said...

That does sound like great fun!

Unknown said...

This is a great idea! I actually just bought a coffee table at a thrift store last week that is big enough that we could do this on it. I'm going to have to plan an ethnic night just so we can do it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Shari Ellen said...

You have a few neat ideas in this post. Cutting the legs off of a table to make a coffee table is really neat. I've never been offered a free coffee table, but I've been given 3 dining tables. Now, I know what to do if I am given a small one.

Michelle said...

That is the most creative, fun idea that I've heard in a long time. I am definitely going to try it out! Thanks for sharing!

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

What a wonderful memory for you.

ames said...

Our coffee table is actually a hexagonal poker table that we cut the legs off of, complete with poker chip pockets that double as drink rests, and we love to eat dinner around it sitting on floor cushions. I'm a sucker for themes, I love the idea of decorating and mood music for dinner!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. We do a special family night every week and I'm always trying to think of new ideas. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's a really neat idea. I have to remind myself all the time that i don't need to spend a ton of money on toys and things for my little boy. He doesn't care. Thanks for the neat idea!
~Lizzie

Dawn said...

Great idea!

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Fun idea! Simple but so fun!